Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Bi-lingual Bull...

I am an American. I was born an American and I live in America. It doesn't matter what state I live in, its AMERICA. So, what is this Bi-lingual Spanish crap about...We speak ENGLISH, here in the States. Yeah, English. Bad English most of the time, but English all the same Why should I have to learn Spanish, WHY. I don't get it. I honestly don't. I know we are having issues with immigration, but a dead give-away someone might be illegal is that they DON"T SPEAK ENGLISH.

I am all up for expanding my horizons, that's why I took ASL in college. I enjoy the language, I WANTED to learn it. It wasn't because of Paco or Juan. I mean, I would love to learn French, Italian, Japanese, or maybe Chinese. Those are languages I am interested in because one day I wanna visit those places. I WANT to be able to communicate with people in their native tongue, in THEIR country. Not in a Wendy's, waiting on someone to come translate what I ordered to Rosa so I can get my food.

If I was to go to Germany, I would first learn the language. I know that most of the world now speaks moderate English, but its respectful to the people when you are in THEIR LAND to speak in their language. It just common courtesy people. I hate the fact that today, if you have "Bi-lingual in Spanish" written on your resume, you get a shiny gold star. It just IRKS me to no end.

Now I am not totally cruel on the subject, I appreciate someone who tries. If I come across someone who knows mostly Spanish but has taken the effort to try to learn, I would be more than happy to use what little I know to help them in whatever they need. Hell, I might even try to learn more just because of inspiration. But I REFUSE to learn Spanish because they don't want to learn English.

Also, if your culture is a different from the country you live in, and you wish to hold on to as much of your heritage as possible, GO FOR IT. Learn all you want, bore your friends to death with stories of who did what in this country. Or that this means that, and its significance. However, do not FORCE me to learn. If it is interesting, I will sit and listen. I find a lot of things interesting, so I am a captive audience. Just talk to me so I can actually understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment